Call for Application: Postgraduate and Post-Doctoral Scholarship in Sociology
Closing date for receipt of applications: December 5, 2019
The Sociology department is seeking applications for Honours, MA, PhD. and Post-doctoral fellowships for suitably qualified individuals to join a research project on Global Fertility Markets: New Reproduction and (Old) Stratifications.
The successful candidate will:
- Conduct research on reproductive health, reproductive technologies, infertility, stratified reproduction, egg and sperm provision, egg freezing, fertility markets, and other closely related topics
- have experience conducting fieldwork
- be required to be part of an ongoing project titled Rand and the Reproductive body: Markets for Reproduction in South Africa (see attachment for details)
The successful candidate may be required to assist with:
- Preparation and undertaking of fieldwork;
- Support other researchers in conducting their fieldwork;
- Literature reviews, transcription of interviews, mapmaking, and other research related outputs
- Presentation of analyses at seminars, workshops and conferences, and
- Preparation of research findings for publication in peer-reviewed journals.
The value of the fellowship is ZAR 120, 000; 90,000 and 60, 000 per annum for PhD, MA and Hons respectively.
Preference will be given to black South African scholars.
For post-doctoral opportunities the expectations may include at least one publication (in a peer reviewed journal) for each year of funding. Th ePost-doctoral scholar will work closely with the PI to develop a suitable project. The annual remuneration will be ZAR 220,000 (all inclusive). Renewal is negotiable and contingent on progress.
For those interested submit your complete application to Professor Amrita Pande (email@example.com). Please mark the subject heading on the email application: Reproduction-UCT Scholarship Application.
Eligible candidates should provide the following:
- A CV;
- A letter of motivation explaining how your research interests fit with the Rand and Reproduction project;
- An academic writing sample;
- A three-page description of your research project, its relevance, and your plan of work;
- A full academic transcript;
- Two independent academic references;
- A copy of your ID.
For post-doctoral applications, please supply evidence of published work.
Conditions of the Award: The scholarship cannot be held concurrently with other awards without the permission of the principle investigator. In order to be considered for the scholarship, applicants must have made an independent application to the relevant academic department at UCT in which the postgraduate degree will be conferred.
For more information, please contact: Amrita Pande (Assoc. Professor, Department of Sociology, University of Cape Town, Private Bag X3 Rondebosch 7700 South Africa). Tel: +27 21 650 3517. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.