Post: CONTENT EDITOR, BMJ MH Blog
Closing Date 12 noon, Monday 2 Dec 2019
Position type: Remote
Stipend: £500 yearly
Hours per week: 4-5
If you are interested in applying for this opportunity, please send a CV and statement to email@example.com.
Job Summary & Purpose: The Medical Humanities blog supports and extends the reach of the BMJ Medical Humanities journal. Posts to the blog include book reviews, CFP announcements, film reviews, and article summaries (with audio clips) of articles recently published in the journal. In addition, the blog publishes original critical short essays on the medical humanities, broadly considered, and encourages cross-cultural exchange. We have an interest in hearing global voices and in focusing on the health humanities and accessibility/social justice. The blog seeks to foster ECR and other scholars, allowing them space to present ideas in the hopes of leading to future article submission to the journal.
The blog publishes content twice weekly on average. Team members include the digital projects coordinator, a film correspondent, a global health correspondent, and the blog editor (also the journal’s EIC, Brandy Schillace).
- PhD in a relevant field preferred
- Demonstrated interest and ability to identify, understand and create opportunities to engage with key ideas and debates within the medical humanities
- Excellent communication skills, particularly writing for both academic and public audiences
- Able to edit materials to a high standard and within house style guidelines
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to provide constructive and tactful feedback
- Excellent organizational, IT and administrative skills
- Able to work independently, take initiative and prioritize own workload without close supervision
- Self-motivated with the drive to carry tasks through to completion
- Ability to work well as part of a team
- Proficiency in using WordPress
- Proficiency in the use of social media to engage audiences in research
- Experience of using analytics to monitor uptake of online content